Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A damsel in distress

…. Continuation from yesterday…

Well, Tuesday, when our power still wasn’t on, I decided I was just going to have to pack by flashlight in my closet. The 4th grade Mackinaw Trip was this weekend and Kate and I had to be up to the school by 5:30am. I was just glad I found enough clean clothes to get me through the next 3 days. I wasn’t sure how my husband and the boys would fare with their clean undies supply, but what’s a mom to do.

I had to run into town for some bug spray and snacks for the trip. We headed out at lunch time so we could eat at Wendy’s. I wasn’t sure what was still edible in the fridge. On my way to Jackson, feeling like I was quite the pioneer in my “no power” situation, I felt the cold air blowing out my vents suddenly get warm. Then my engine started making a weird noise, so I quickly pulled over and turned my van off. I jumped out and popped the hood to see what was the matter, as if I would even have a clue what to look for. I just knew from watching Michael and my dad, when something is wrong with the engine your are supposed to pop the hood and stare at it. When I opened the hood it smelled like burnt rubber. I don’t know much about cars but I am pretty sure it is not good when the engine smells like burnt rubber. But there I was, a damsel in distress on the side of M-50. I decided to check my oil cause that is the one thing I “mostly” know how to do. I would like to say it was like a “Hollywood” moment. Ya know, the scene where the girl is in a pair of cute shorts and a tank top, with her hair blowing in the wind as she peers under the hood to find the problem. Nope, not quite. Because of my lack of electricity I was still in my PJ’s, my hair was tied up in some sort of crazy bunnish thing. I hadn’t showered in 3 days, it was 85 degrees and I was dripping with sweat. So their I stood a sight for sure flailing around my dipstick trying to look like I knew what I was doing. But one thing I did know how to do as a damsel in distress is call my knight in shining armor. I called Michael and while he was on his way the kids watched a DVD in the back and I took the opportunity to clean out my van. I figured if I was going to be stranded I might as well get something done. Lol We still don’t know exactly what was wrong with my van, but we do know the air no longer works. Ugh. Bummer!!

That night on my way to my Dad’s for some dinner, I got a call from my mom saying the power was back on. My heart actually leapt in my chest. You would have thought I had spoken with an Angel by my reaction. I really wouldn’t have done so well back in the day. I really like “electricity.” This would make getting to the school at 5:30am a little easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment