Monday, February 27, 2012

The land of the free, and the home of the Brave!

I have always appreciated our troops but now that I have a relative in the service, I appreciate them even more. I always get a little teary eyed at Memorial Day events and even on the 4th of July, as I watch the beautiful display in the sky, I can’t help but take pride in what our country stands for and those who fought the very first battles of independence right up to those who will deploy by my cousins side. I have just always felt very patriotic, but now that the experience of sacrifice is right in my own family and it has opened up a whole new level of appreciation. It’s funny how it is hard to relate to other people’s experiences at times, simply because we have not experienced it personally. Just like I empathized with those who experience parents who divorced, I could only truly relate when I endured the same circumstance my self. Just like I had heard stories of child labor and the magical feel of a new born baby, it wasn’t real to my own soul until the day I personally labored and had my new baby placed on my very own stomach. But today I relate to those with family in the military on a whole new level. I still can’t relate to a wife of a soldier kissing her husband goodbye that last time before he goes to war. And my heart goes out to them in their own sacrifice. But I now relate as a close family member. As a cousin who grew up with a sweet little boy, who I pretty much claimed as my own little buddy, seeing I am 8 years older than he is. I played baseball in the backyard with him and we raced remote control cars. He is the one who gave me my nickname “Mame”, and though he grew out of calling me “mame”, I am now “Aunt Mame” to my little nephews, and every time I hear it, it brings a smile to my face. He has turned into a fine young man and I am very proud of him. He is a protector of his family, yet his heart is sweet as can be. I love him with all my heart. I now relate on a whole new level and I want to say personally, “Thank you to all those who have sacrificed, who are sacrificing and who will sacrifice for the beautiful life I am allowed to have here in America! The land of the Free and the Home of the Brave!”

No comments:

Post a Comment