Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Love my neighbor as I love who?

You can’t teach what you don’t know. And you can’t give what you don’t have. As I read this I understand what it is saying, yet so often I get all backwards. There is a bible verse that says, “Love your neighbor as you love yourself.” This sounds like a good idea, right? Well, it is, but the question is how much do we love ourselves. On a daily basis how do we treat ourselves? What do we have do pass on to our neighbor? Now I am not talking about helping your neighbor tow his car, or giving a meal to those in need. These are nice acts of kindness we are all equipped to do. I am talking about patience and acceptance. I am talking about love and respect that we have for each other. If I don’t love and respect myself, what makes me think I could love and respect anyone else. Often times we get backwards, working to treat someone else better that we treat ourselves, feeling like the “bigger or better” person. Again, please don’t misunderstand me. Yes, there are times we make sacrifices and go out of our way to help someone. And I am all for that! But let me ask you this, how much more capacity would you have to give if you were loving and respectful to yourself? How much more capacity would you have to give if you were building yourself up, rather than tearing yourself down. I know I have quoted this many times before, but I will say it again. If you talk to your friends the way you talk to yourself, how long would you stay friends?” Need I say more. So today I challenge you! I challenge you to for 3 days to give it a try. Starting right NOW, make it your goal to love, respect, and accept yourself. Don’t allow yourself to treat yourself negatively for 3 days. Now I will tell ya this, it will be harder than you think. I would be willing to bet most of you will make it 15 minutes. But I will leave you with combat plan. But first remember, this isn’t a challenge to be nicer to others, this is a challenge to be nicer to YOU, and in turn watch the amazing domino affect. And the combat plan is this. As you take on this challenge you will find yourself habitually reverting back to being “negative” to yourself. When you find yourself buried in such thoughts tell yourself to just put those thoughts on a shelf until the 3 day challenge is over, and name 3 positive attributes about yourself that very moment and the moments there after. Once the 3-day challenge is over, then if you feel the need to pick up those negative thoughts up again you can. But odds are you won’t feel the need. J Well, hope this makes sense, and hope it helps. Good luck!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment