Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A trip to the doctor, what fun.

What a day. My poor baby has some sort of skin rash and I had to take him to the doctor. I am sure any parent can totally relate to how enthused I was about taking my 2 year old to the germ infested waiting room where I would have to spend all of my energy trying to keep him occupied while trying to put out of my mind the little green gremlin in my brain screaming, “eewww, germs!” every time he touched something else. And then on to the back room, a whole new set of germs, cause face it I hardly think he is going to contain himself to the little isle of paper on the table/bed, whatever they call it. I call it that table that is just one more thing for me to yell at my kids about while waiting, “stop pushing the buttons, leave the table where it is at, stop playing with the paper, don’t lick the paper, don’t sit under the paper etc.” I am sure there are more; just thinking about it again has made me to exhausted to recall everything. Today when the doc walked in the paper was torn into at least 4 pieces and scattered on the floor. But hey I was just happy I got him to quit playing the with “hazardous trash cupboard”. Oh yeah and ya gotta love that spinney chair, especially if you have more than one kid in the room. The range of games they come up with. We have the obvious take turns spinning each other, but my favorite is “hey, lets see how fast we can go and crash into the wall. Finally, after what seems an eternity and I am about to commit myself to the mental institute if I have to be boxed in with the toddlers any longer, the doc arrives.

This is where the real stress kicks in. My poor baby is in a lot of pain from his rash. It hurt just to barely touch it. Well I had to hold him down so the doc could get a culture done. Poor thing. It just drained the life right out of me. I just hate to see them suffer.

Finally after 2 hours the trip was over and we were headed to pick up the antibiotic.

What I found endearing about today was when it was all over and he was lying in my arms nothing else in the world mattered. I didn’t care that he through paper all over the doctors room, I didn’t care that he makes 50 million messes a day, I didn’t care about the play dough in the carpet or the crayon on the walls. All I cared is that he was going to be ok and that his chubby little face was in my lap. And I think to myself, it is all worth it. All worth it to have the privilege to love someone so precious.


  1. Hope he feels better soon. I spent to much time in the ER with Emily last month and know where your coming from. I was in tears several time during the last trip because she was so sick with a fever of almost 104! She just laid in my arms and I so wanted her to act like herself. Within a few hours she was tearing up the ER!! :)

  2. aww That made me tear up. I know exactly what you are talking about. Our children are so special.