Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Just a run....I don't think so!

The other day I was at my in-laws, when my sis-in-law changed into shorts and started stretching. “Are you going for a run?” I asked. I was wanting to go for a run myself that day. “Yup, she said, “wanna go.” Well, I was now up to 3 songs and feeling good since I had only been back in the game for 4 days. “Yeah I would love to go, but I run really slow.” ”Me too” she answered “Ok sounds great!” I said and then began the hunt for barrowing a pair of shorts and tennis shoes. “So how far do you run?” I asked “3 miles.” She said “What!!!! 3 miles?!! On purpose without anyone chasing you?! Oh my gosh, I have never run past 2 and that was 2 years ago.” I replied in a panic She then proceeded to explain to me that when you run slow you can go further at your target hart rate, blah blah blah, I’m not really sure exactly what she said, it was all a bit foggy after I heard the words 3 miles. But I psyched myself up. I was going to do it! As we were walking down the driveway she look at her watch and said, “ok, it’s 3:30, we should be back by 4:10.” “What!” I gasped “Forty minutes! You want me to run for forty minutes! On purpose! Oh my gosh I can’t be gone that long, that is forever.” With a chuckle she said, “Well if you want to run to the first stop sign with me, then you can turn around and come back, while I finish the block, that should get you to your mile that you are used to, but really it’s not as bad as you think it would be.” It was at this point in time I had to evaluate our relationship. Maybe she was just pretending to like me all this time, and now she would just wait for me to pass out and leave me for the buzzards. Well, when that reasoning didn’t seem to be rational I had to make a choice, to run, not to run. Well, against the realistic part of my body telling me NOOOOOOOO! The part of me that was up for a challenge was curious to see how far I could go. And we were off. It wasn’t that bad for awhile. I’d say some where at a mile and half I thought I was going to die, but as I broke 2 miles, I suddenly thought I could do it! And then the last half of the 3rd mile came, and I began contemplating throwing myself into oncoming traffic. My calves were burning, my lunges were puffing, and the sweat was dripping everywhere. EVERYWHERE! I finally looked at Jamie as I began to really slow and said, “You go ahead I don’t want to slow you down.” “No, I am not leaving you now. I want to make it and if I leave you, you might get discouraged.” She said Now, she probably has no idea, but this moment still stands out to me. I found it interesting the surge of strength that went through my body just hearing her support. Though it was just a run, it still was such a boost to have someone who could have ran ahead, rather choose to stay with me, running at a pace that I am sure a speed walker good have passed me by. Come to think of it, I recall seeing the blur of a turtle go by, I’m sure on way somewhere fun. Anyway, forgetting about the reptiles faster than me at this point, this act of sisterhood, friendship and support on something as simple as a run got me thinking about life. I thought about all the trials I had been through and had flashes of the faces who stood by my side. We are not meant to take on life alone! We are meant to have someone by our side saying, “I will not leave you, I want you to make it.” And make it I did. I finally saw the driveway that signified the end of my 3 miles. If I wouldn’t have sweated out all the moisture in my body I am sure I would have cried. It was quite an accomplishment, for me anyway, and I gotta say, I am proud of myself. So a big thanks to my sis-in-law for not leaving my slow dying butt behind! Even if it was “just a run” it was more than that to me!!! (Boy that sound a bit cheesy and chick flicky, like “I would miss you if I never met you”, from Wedding Date, or “You complete me” from Jerry Maguire. Oh well, it was a “dramatic” moment for me.” lol I suppose it would be more fitting if I said....Help me to help you, help me to help you" lol from Jerry Maguire also. hahahaha OK I will sign off, I must be tired, cause I am rambling about stupid stuff now. Oh wait, isn't that what I usually do. hee hee, oh somebody stop me. lol Good night all!)

No comments:

Post a Comment